Over the past 9 years I have spent time with hundreds of clients and thousands of people creating successful team building programs. Throughout my career, I have discovered that the concept of “team building” means different things to different people.
Regardless of how long the program is, I have always defined team building in three ways:
It is a tool to help accelerate team formation.
It is strategic in nature.
It is focused on skill development Strategy Consultant Salary India and behavioral change.
If you want to create a program that will have a positive impact on your team, it is important to pay attention to the pitfalls you may encounter.
Here are 4 common reasons why team building fails.
It is irrelevant
– there are no clear objectives
– the facilitator never spoke to the “decision maker” prior to the event
It is ambiguous
– there are no clear “tools” to take back to the workplace to help team members be more effective
Lack of commitment
– the program isn’t linked to broader What Is Consulting Pwc professional development efforts
– there is no follow-up scheduled as part of the program
Lack of experience
– the facilitator has no real business experience and never spent time in the boardroom
– the facilitator has limited knowledge about business or your industry
If you see symptoms such as these within your programs, it is likely you won’t see a change in how your team collaborates.
So, what are the keys to making team building effective?
Stay tuned for my next article that I will share with you regarding the 4 P’s of Strategic Team Building.